Maintaining your air conditioner not only helps you in saving money on energy bills and pricey AC repair Mesa but also enhances the lifespan of your system while saving money on costly repairs. Maintaining your AC is a must-do, and you need to learn the most convenient steps for the same.
Here Are 10 Easy Steps That Will Help You Maintain Your Air Conditioner to Run Smoothly
- Switch Off the Power: Whenever you are likely to perform AC maintenance, shut it off completely. It helps you stay protected from internal and external damages.
- Remove Debris: The condenser unit of your air conditioner is very prone to get clogged easily. To help your AC run smoothly, you need to clean the exterior unit more frequently. You can remove the fan cage using a screwdriver and remove any debris from the outdoor unit.
- Clean the Fins: You can use the gentle stream of a garden hose to clean the outside dirt of the fins. That way, you can remove any dirt build-up from between the fins. Always be attentive to the water pressure since the pressure can damage the fins.
- Straighten the Fins: If the fins are bent, they can reduce the efficiency of your air conditioner. You need to carefully straighten the bent fins using a butter knife or a commercially available fin straightener.
- Clean the Area Around the Unit: The outdoor unit must be placed in a clean place. If grass and trees are in the outdoor unit’s proximity, you need to keep a watch on the unit for clogging. If you are not using the air conditioner during the winter months, do not forget to cover the outdoor unit, and remove the cover when the unit is operating.
- Level the Unit: The pad upon which the condenser unit sits may begin to tip along with the soil beneath it. The condenser unit sitting on an out-of-the-level area can cause the compressor to fail early. Check the level frequently and make it uniform, if necessary.
- Change the Air Filters: Your air conditioner can run for 10 to 15 years, whereas the air filters cannot. You need to keep the air filters clean for uninterrupted and clean air. Clean the air filters at home with water, mild detergent, and a soft-bristled brush. If the air filters are beyond cleanable, don’t waste time, and change them ASAP.
- Clean the Evaporator Coil: Find the evaporator coil door and remove some foil duct tape, screws, and bolts. Use a soft brush to dust off the coil or spray some no-rinse coil cleaner to clean the evaporator coil.
- Change the Blower Filter: The blower filter of your air conditioner needs to be changed at least twice a year. If you live in a dusty area, you might need to change it more often. Always replace the filter with a new one to get the same airflow rating.
- Switch On The Power: Performing these steps will keep your AC in its top shape. Many other steps require professional and trained HVAC technicians.